Blackburns_Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2005

RANT OF THE WEEK - GE CAPITAL BANK

I cut up my Evans Gold Card today!

I have decided today that I am no longer going to have any store cards! Not only are exhorbitant interest charges applied to your account, you can never get through within 5 minutes to their customer services desk and when you eventually do, they are difficult to understand, do not understand you and are so limited in their resources/responsibilities that they can not help you anyway! Am I the only person to think this way? Well I thought so and then I discovered the beauty of googling companies!
You may be interested in the following site:
Grumble text re; GE Capital Bank (good for a laugh especially the spelling!) The number of posts regarding GE Capital Bank failings perceived or otherwise is amazing. Judging by my own experiences I hope I never have any dealings with GE Capital once my existing obligations are dealt with!

Take last Saturday 22/10/05 as a point in question.... the story begins....

I went shopping today for some boots for work for the winter. As usual I went to Evans because even though their products do not last more than a season (why should they, if they did you wouldn't need to go back and buy more!). Being a bit of a decisive shopper within the space of half an hour I had decided on two pairs of boots, three jumpers, one pair of trousers, one top and a belt... nice! I took my purchases to the till knowing that my credit limit was more than capable of coping with the total and that I would get a nice discount on the boots, I went up to the counter to pay.

The sub-total was a little eyebrow raising but not the end of the world... and so to pay... I handed over my Evans Gold Card only to have it declined! Suspecting a technical hitch it was tried again... nope still declined... ok so now I'm embarrassed, ground swallow you up if only kind of embarrassed. We try calling the Customer Service Desk - if only it was, only to be put on hold somewhere in the region of 10 - 15mins, by which point the staff, other customers and myself were losing the will to live... In the end I paid by another method and resolved to pick the issue up with the Customer Slight Desk later on...

So with a beautifully crimson face and my purchases I exit the shop... Too demoralised to continue the usually happy experience of shopping, I gave up and went home...

The next day I checked the balance on my card only to find that I had more than enough credit but that the reduced credit limit had been applied immediately and not 30 days from 18th October... To say that I was a little cross would be an understatement.

I know the shafting, self protecting, scam of a contract I signed up to when I foolishly started my account and yes I have had my ups and downs with it but in recent months I had been getting to grips with it and sorting it out. So for somebody to but in and arbitrarily change things without consultation is a little bit annoying and then when they screw it up it is infuriating.

I don't give a stuff about the card. I could pay it off in a heartbeat if I so desired but I like the measly discount I could get on footwear and it was convenient, but do you know what I can do without that kind of convenience. I am not one of those people who get off on ritual humiliation... needless to say I am writing to GE Capital Bank and trying to be polite, advise them of where they have failed to meet my expectations as a 'valued customer'! The letter is below, this is being sent off this week so I will let you know how I get on or if I even get a response!
........................................................................................................................................................................
Letter to GE Capital Bank - 23 October 2005
I have today received your letter advising me that after reviewing my credit arrangements you have decided to reduce my credit limit at your discretion within your terms by providing 30 days notice.

You state: '...we will be reducing the Credit Limit on your account to £X,XXX effective 30 days from the date on this letter... in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of your agreement.' Your letter was dated 18/10/2005. This would have been fine if you had stuck to the details of your letter and not lowered my credit limit without due notice. On checking today, 23rd October 2005 I find that my limit has already been lowered to £XXXX and not after the requisite 30 days notice stipulated in your letter.

Last payment was £XXX.XX received on 22/10/05. Present balance as at 22/10/05 stands at £XXX.XX. Leaving available credit at £XXX.XX (enough to complete my purchases of yesterday for £XXX.XX!)

I went into Evans Uxbridge, Middlesex yesterday to purchase several items only to be told that my card was declined despite having enough credit available even with the newly reduced credit limit. Not only did I have the embarrassment caused by you incorrectly declining my card but when the store staff tried in store to contact your customer services (I presume this description is a joke!) department we were inconvenienced by having to wait over 15mins before giving up, trying to get through to you. This inconvenience was not only mine and the staff at the store but also other Evans customers who wished to complete their purchases whilst waiting for a response from the customer service desk. When I finally managed to get through to you customer services staff today after again waiting almost 15 mins, they tell me that my account is fine and there should be no reason as to why I was unable to complete my purchase by card yesterday!

As it stands I am so appalled by your handling of my account and your non-existent customer service that I will be clearing my account as soon as possible. I will be posting my experience of your 'customer service' on my weblog and discussing the matter with friends and family many of whom use your services. You may not miss my custom alone but you may miss the custom of a number of people – it does not take long for it all to start adding up does it? Having been a customer of Evans for quite a few years, I am extremely upset and disappointed by the service provided by the customer service desk and your account management analysts.

As you are so concerned about my store card please find it enclosed. I look forward to receiving your apology, offer of compensation and comments by return.

Yours sincerely.....
......................................................................................................................................................................
So lets see what if any response I get... Don't hold your breath as it may take longer than 15 mins!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home